Thursday, April 27, 2006

Cashel, Cork and Cabbies...

So, yesterday morning, after a night of drunken revelery for Marty, he announced we were going to visit more of Munster (one of the old kingdoms of Ireland) by visiting Cashel. Now, I had no idea where this place was, but figured it'd be fun. We figured out what line we needed for the bus, to get to Cashel, got our tickets, and climbed on for the ride. About an hour and a half later, we arrived in the same town of Cashel, which hosts the ruins of 3 monasteries, the ruins of a cathedral, which was itself built on earlier ruins, and an in-use cathedral. It was great! Took a tour of the "Rock of Cashel" which used to be the cathedral. It is in mid-rennovation, but still amazing to look at. We took pictures of one of the monasteries on the way to the Rock of Cashel, through town. One of the other monasteries was visible from the Rock, and we got pictures, but couldn't actually walk out to it. We never did find the third. We did visit the in-use cathedral, as well as wandering the cemetary. Surprisingly, not too many really old gravestones; I'm not sure I saw anything earlier than the mid-18th century.

We got back to Cork, and stopped at the room for a bit, before going to Hillbilly Fried Chicken for dinner. I'm not kidding, I'll post the pictures later. It's an actually, KFC-style fast food joint. After that, we hit a pub, and watched rugby, which still doesn't make any bloody sense. We decided the only rule we could see in both rugby and Irish football was no elbows to the face. That's it. Aside from that, I'm lost.


Minor heart attack at the hotel this morning. When I booked the room, I was quite positive that the 110 Euros/night was total, not per person. However, when I looked at the pricing on the back of the door in the room, it listed it at 130 euros/person/night. Yikes!!! I was doing some quick mental math to figure out how that was going to work into my budget for the trip! Thankfully, when we checked out, we paid 220 euros for the room, so I felt much better.

Today, I think we're just going to take it easy. The cabbie who took us from the hotel to the second B&B plays traditional Irish music, and will be playing in a pub tomorrow. So we're planning on hitting that. And tomorrow, we'll go to Blarney, and see the sights there. Supposed to be a lovely, sunny warm day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home