Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Day in the Life...

So today was the first in the office. The only info we got on what they wanted us to do here was "help the new hires". Well, we got there today, and were handed schedules for the side-by-sides we'll be doing with some of the newest people down here. You know, a full day of side-by-sides makes for a long day! Especially when you can only hear one side of the infrequent phone calls. Mostly, I watched the person I sat with, gave some suggestions on how to keep his email from becoming overwhelming. Gave pointers on how to make things easier. We did discover he didn't have access to something all CSRs need; the ability to see if a trucker has been assigned to deliver containers. That was good. Tomorrow, however, I'm supposed to sit with the person in charge of refaxing notices customers didn't receive, for whatever reason. Not sure how I'm going to stretch that for 7.5 hours!!!

On the whole, today was a good day. The breakfast buffet was great! There was very fresh pineapple and watermelon (both of which I loved) and fresh papaya, which I didn't love. :) They also had lovely, flaky croissants, lunch meat and cheeses. Fresh juice, which I had, and fresh coffee for the two people from work I was with. Driving to work was an experience; traffic isn't quite as bad as I'd expected, but I'm super glad I'm not behind the wheel! The shoulder is just another lane of traffic here, as far as I can tell. Suicidal motorcyclists whiz by, on the shoulder, along the dotted lines between lanes. Most of them go by so close, if you hung your arm out the window, you could probably clothesline them!

The office was interesting. Everyone was so glad to meet us, which was nice. Will, from the Chicago office, had been there yesterday, so he was all settled in. Michelle and I were taken on a quick tour, very cursorily introduced to everyone. We did get to talk with the managers, to find out more of what they expected. Oh, and to get our schedules. :)

After work, we got dropped off to change. We'd decided to go to a Peruvian restuarant a couple of miles down the road; we went past the US Embassy on the way, so I know roughly where it's at now. The food was fabulous! Well-plated, cooked wonderfully. I had beef tenderloins medallions, cooked stir-fry style, with onions, bell peppers, and french fries. Don't ask me, it's Peruvian. Oh, and some aromatic rice to go with it. Very good! We all decided to try dessert as well; I had pie de limon (know to most as lemon merangue). It was lovely. :) Danna, the director of the center, asked her driver to take us to the restaurant. It worked out really well. About the time we'd all changed out of our work clothes, he'd gotten there. He took us to the restaurant, and then came back just as we finished up. Excellente!!

When we got back from dinner, it was into swim suits, and into the heated pool. Oh, it was divine! Will and I lazily swam laps as we chatted, which Michelle hit the gym. After a bit, we headed to the hot tub, 'though we had to wait for it to warm up. At first, it was only a few degrees warmer than the pool! Eventually, Michelle joined us, and the water heated nicely. Very nice. We've decided to enjoy the pool again tomorrow, 'though we'll try and get the hot tub heated more before we get in!

So, for my first day in Costa Rica, it's going well! Hopefully tomorrow is just as good.

Mom, hope your foot feels better soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home